The January 2017 IIM Meeting was held on Tuesday, 10th January at the David Lloyd Centre, Milton Keynes MK15 0DL.
This meeting was the 27th meeting since the first meeting held in a pub in Milton Keynes in 2010. The group discussed what value they had got from the meetings which as well as good networking opportunities included gaining personal confidence, picking up tips on LinkedIn, how to get better day rates, how to market yourself as small businesses, regular updates re Finances for Freelances, and also for some winning business from contacts made at the meetings.
Following on from a previous meeting’s theme – we had two volunteers, Grant Hartwright and Richard Smith, who presented to the group to test how well they communicated their expertise and experience in order that the group could possibly provide new channels and opportunities for them if they had a better understanding of their value add and they might benefit from the collective support of peers in honing their message.
Thanks to you both for their presentations – it was great to understand your offers in more detail but also to collectively share hints and tips on how to pitch, style and presentation skills.
The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, 6th June 2017 and the topic will once again be ‘Finances for Freelancers’
Background to the IIM MK Local Node Meetings
- The meetings are for Interim Managers, Independent Consultants and other members of the freelance community. The objectives are:
- The room with tea, coffee and biscuits will be available from 6 pm to allow for meeting other attendees beforehand.
- To meet other Interims / Freelancers in an informal environment
- To share best practice
- To facilitate collaborationThe main event runs from 7pm until 9pm but with refreshments available from 6.15pm. The location is David Lloyd, Livingstone Drive, Newlands, Milton Keynes, MK15 0DL. A small charge of £15 plus VAT is made to cover room hire and refreshments and we use Eventbrite to manage the tickets.
- The meetings were started by Stuart Copeland in response to an initiative by the Institute of Interim Management to hold regional get togethers. The first meeting was held in a pub in April 2010 with just four people but have run quarterly ever since with increasing attendances.
Associates, Collaboration, Freelancer, IIM